over 2 years ago
Get to know the fantastic variaties of eggplants coming into season this month. Luscious in texture and delicate in flavor, the Japanese eggplant has smaller seeds and it doesn't need that pre-salting step to mellow its taste. A quick stir fry, or here - five minutes on the grill - and you have a creamy melt-in-your-mouth savory treat. This recipe is inspired by Middle Eastern flavors of sesame seeds, orange and mint. Enjoy.
- 4 Japanese eggplants (or 1 large globe), sliced into 1/2" rounds then half-moons
- 2 tablespoons Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/2 cup Castelvetrano (or other large green) olive, pitted and quartered
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Orange balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful of chopped mint
- salt and pepper to taste
Toss the eggplant slices with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Grill over medium heat, turning to cook both sides until the centers give when pressed between your fingers, about 5 minutes. Transfer eggplant from grill to a large bowl.
Add the onion, orange zest, olives, sesame seeds, orange balsamic vinegar, remaining olive oil, and mint to bowl and stir to combine.
Let sit for 15 minutes for flavors to develop, taste and adjust salt and pepper and vinegar as desired. Serve.
- 221 calories
- 9g total fat
- 1g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 17mg sodium
- 36g carbohydrate (18g dietary fiber, 12g sugar)
- 6g protein